Notes on Ergun Mehmet Caner and Emir Fethi Caner’s
Chapter 14: Clash of Cultures (Christianity through the eyes of the typical Muslim)
According to the Caners, Muslims interpret all religions, including Christianity, through their central doctrine “There is no god but Allah and Muhammad is his messenger.” They believe that Allah is everyone’s god. All other religions are simply corruptions of or delusions regarding the true religion of Allah.
This chapter addresses five perceptions that Muslims have regarding Christianity, and responds to each of these.
- The true Christian gospel has been changed. (Response: Historical evidence affirms Christianity)
- Christians are divided and weak (Response: Christians and Muslims are both divided)
- Christians have maligned true Islam. (Response: Islam maligns Christianity far more than Christians malign Islam.)
- Christians are blind and unreasonable. (Response: Christian faith is reasonable and can be understood.)
- The Christian faith overlooks immorality (Response: Western nations are not Christian nations.)
This chapter gives a nice look into some of the perceptions Muslims may have about Christians and provides a jumping off point for study for anyone who desires to minister to Muslims.
Addendum (May 10, 2010): Ergun Caner’s testimony as a converted Muslim has been challenged by several bloggers who claim that he has grossly exaggerated the extent of his Muslim upbringing. Readers of this book ought to be aware that the Caners may or may not have the experiential knowledge of Islam that they claim to have, and should therefore be careful to test the statements found in this book against other reliable sources.